Fans of Berber culture and architecture will find everything in this excursion to discover the famous ancient crest villages of and Citadel-Ksars that occupy the peaks of the high mountains of the Dhahar massif; it’s a true discovery of the Berber heritage of southern Tunisia.
Departure city: Djerba
Duration: 01 Day
Genre: culture and discovery
Period of the year: All year
Departure: Every day
DJERBA-TATOUINE-KSAR OULED SOLTANE-DOUIRET-CHENINI-GUERMESSA-DJERBA
• Early departure from your hotel to Tataouine region and the Dhahar massif via the Roman road.
• Panoramic stop to admire the salty lake "Sobkhet El Meleh".
• Drive towards Tataouine, the famous city which sheltered the battalion of the foreign legion and haunting the famous "Bat of AF".
• Brief visit of the city center and the typical market square with typical products such as Babouches (camel leather shoes) and Burnous (traditional coat in lambswool or camel hair with hood).
• Continuation to visit Ksar Ouled Soltane, the majestic granary and the most preserved with its beautiful Ghorfas nicely superimposed formerly used for the storage of tribal food supplies.
• Departure to discover the crest villages built by the Berbers on the peaks of the Dhahar mountains which offer spectacular landscapes.
• Visit of Douiret, an abandoned historic Berber village made up of several troglodyte houses carved in the rocks, oil mills and underground mosque with a citadel that occupies the peak of the mountain. The village had once housed a Berber population with ancestral traditions that numbered around three thousand inhabitants. Visitors to Douiret will be seduced by the charm of the village and the breathtaking landscapes.
• Drive to Chenini, the only crest village populated by a Berber population of about five hundred inhabitants. With its troglodyte houses and Ksars, this beautiful village is set on the top of a mountain which gives a surprising view of the Dhahar plateau.
• Guided tour in Chenini till the Ksar Ksar and then lunch in a typical troglodyte restaurant to savor the delights of the ancestral culinary art of the Berbers.
• After lunch, visit the legendary Seven Sleepers Mosque and the giant tombs.
• Continue to Guermessa, the last crest village of sublime beauty and surprising architecture, topped by a citadel overlooking a beautiful landscape of the Dhahar plateau.
• Return to Djerba via the Roman road.
THE PRICE INCLUDES:
• Transport in air-conditioned vehicle.
• Visits indicated in the program.
• Professional guide specialized in Berber culture during all visits
THE PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
• The drinks.
• Excursions or optional tours.
• The Tips.
• The extras.
• Complete journey to the three crest villages in Tataouine region
• Adaptable excursion for small groups and families with children
• Visit of the majestic granary Ksar Ouled Soltane.
• Typical hearty and tasty lunch with a complete Berber menu.