In the heart of the Dhahar Massif, the mysterious and surprising destination in the south-eastern Tunisia, you will dive into the Berber history and culture with its ancestral traditions, you will discover the charm of the pick villages dug in the rocks, the troglodyte houses and the majestic Ksours, you will taste the flavors of the local culinary art, it’s a fantastic journey in a fabulous world.
Departure city: Djerba
Duration: 02 Days / 01 Nights (in troglodyte lodge)
Genre: adventure & culture
Time of year: All the year
Departure: Every week
DAY 1: DEJRBA-MATMATA-TOUJENE-KSAR HALLOUF-KSAR HADADA-GUERMESSA-DOUIRET
• Early departure from the hotel to the harbor of Ajim to take the ferry to the mainland.
• After the crossing that lasts 15 mn, departure to the Berber village of Matmata, Berber village unique of its kind and known for its troglodyte dwelling houses dug on the slopes of the Dhahar mountains that give a lunar aspect to the mountainous landscape.
• Visit of an inhabited house to discover the architecture and the way of life of troglodytes.
• Visit of Sidi Driss, troglodyte hotel that was used for the filming of the saga Star Wars, where the scenery of the film is still conserved.
• Crossing of the Dhahar Massif that offers spectacular scenery to Toujane, a stunning village nestled between the mountains, all dressed in stones that we could not see, so it blends into the ocher landscape. It is overlooked by an old citadel from which we could admire a superb panorama of the whole village. Photo stop with tasting of a good green tea with mint and rosemary.
• Getting down to the village, we visit a traditional underground oil mill to discover the ancient traditions of olive oil production in the region.
• Drive to Ksar Hallouf, a former granary located at the top of a mountain which gives a superb view of the small oasis, visit of the Ksar with its Ghorfas, former storing cells.
• Typical lunch outdoors under the palm trees of Ksar Hallouf oasis with a rich menu that emanates from Berber culinary traditions.
• After lunch, departure to the Tataouine region with its majestic Ksour and its peak villages.
• Visit of Ksar Hadada, a nice old granary turned into a charming hotel and served for the shooting of the movie Star Wars, episode "The Phantom Menace".
• Drive to Guermessa, mysterious village erected on the peak of a mountain that dominates a beautiful landscape of Dhahar. Guided tour of Guremessa with its houses dug in the rocks and its citadel overlooking the village to discover the traces of one of the oldest human cultures.
• Departure to Douiret, an abandoned historic Berber village of extreme beauty and calm.
• Arrival and installation at the superb troglodyte Lodge “Gîte de Douiret” with its beautiful cave rooms dug in the rocks and beautifully furnished with perfect thermal insulation, so those rooms are warm in winter and cool in summer.
• Typical dinner of Berber gastronomy prepared by the owners of the house.
• After dinner, you can admire a wonderfully starry sky where all the constellations are clearly visible to the naked eye.
DAY 2: DOUIRET-CHENINI-KSAR BENI BARKA-KSAR OULED SOLTANE-TATOUINE-DJERBA
• After a rich breakfast, walking guided tour to discover Douiret, the underground oil mills, the underground mosque, the citadel, the houses, the water cistern...
• After the visit, departure to Chenini the only crest village still inhabited by a population of about five hundred inhabitants.
• Possibility of a hike (2h30 medium level and under request) from Douiret to Chenini crossing beautiful mountain scenery.
• Visit of the legendary "Seven Sleepers" mosque with giant tombs.
• Arrival to Chenini, a beautiful ancient and surprising berber village constructed into the tops of two mountains only separated by a white washed mosque in the middle that joins them and dominated by a Ksar citadel, whose imposing dimensions, offers a breathtaking view.
• After visiting the village, typical lunch in troglodyte restaurant in the heart of Chenini.
• After lunch, departure to Ksar Ouled Soltane, visit of the majestic granary with its beautiful Ghorfas beautifully superimposed which form up to five floors.
• Drive to Ksar Beni Barka, visit of one of the biggest granaries in the region that certainly marks the presence of a very active and productive society in the last centuries.
• Departure to Tataouine, the famous city that housed the battalion of the foreign legion and haunting, the famous "Bat d'AF" with the famous military prison.
• Visit a traditional pastry to taste the typical “Horns of Gazelle”, specialty of the region, dough stuffed with almonds, sesame and honey.
• Return to Djerba via the Roman road with a photo stop at the salt lake "Sobkhet El Meleh".
• Arrival in Djerba, end of our services.
THE PRICE INCLUDES:
• Night in troglodyte lodge
• Transport in air-conditioned vehicle.
• Meals indicated in the program.
• Excursions and visits indicated in the program.
• Professional guide during the tour.
THE PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
• The drinks.
• Excursions or optional tours.
• The Tips.
• The extras.
• Complete program with visits of the most famous villages and Berber sites in southern Tunisia
• Adaptable excursion for small groups and families with children
• Rich typical meals to discover the local gastronomy
• Drivers from the region with long experience in Saharan tourism and who master the route well.