For lovers of paleontology and geology, this journey is ideal to discover the prehistoric riches of the Dhahar and Tataouine region, from bones and traces of dinosaurs to rock paintings.
Departure city: Djerba
Duration: 01 day
Period of the year: All year
Departure: all week except Sunday and Monday
DJERBA-MEDENINE-OUED EL KHIL-KSAR HADADA-GHOMRASSEN-TATOUIN-GUERMESSA-SOBKHET EL MELAH-DJERBA
• Early departure from the hotel to the city of Medenine via the Roman road. Arrival to Medenine, capital of the Djeffara plain, coffee break.
• Drive to Ksar Hadada crossing the famous Dhahar massif through the Oued El Khil canyon: almost 140 million years ago, when the Tethys Ocean retreated to form the Mediterranean Sea, the layers geological have been raised forming the mountains of present-day Dhahar. Following the collapse, a large cliff was formed with a succession of escarpments that now form the flanks of the Dhahar Massif and the oldest geological layers appeared. There is a clearly visible alternation of hard rocks and soft rocks, which has certainly allowed the Berbers of the region to dig troglodyte habitats, and even find an infinity of fossils inside it.
• Arrival to Ksar Hadada, visit of the former granary and filming location of the Star Wars Saga.
• Not far from ksar Hadada and on the road to Tataouine, we walk through a large geological deposit very rich in marine fossils, which proves the existence of the sea millions of years ago.
• Departure to Ghomrassen, a village nestled in a rocky valley, with beautiful pierced cliffs in an old village standing on a rocky peak marked by the marabout Sidi Arfa overlooking a breathtaking landscape.
• Visit of the ancient caves located in Ain Sefri which still contain beautiful rock paintings some of which are still visible.
• On the road to Tataouine, we visit Ksar El Mourabitine, a superb ancient granary located on the peak of a mountain overlooking a beautiful landscape in the heart of the Dhahar massif. It is a citadel Ksar composed of several beautifully superimposed Ghorfas that gives a perfect harmony to the whole.
• Arrival to Tataouine, the famous city that housed the battalion of the foreign legion and captivating the famous "Bat d'AF". Photo stop at the entrance of Ttaouine with a view of the former military prison of the Foreign Legion.
• Visit of the Science Village which houses a Jurassic Park testifying the prehistoric richness of the city of Tataouine since the tertiary era and the presence of rich deposits of vertebrate’s fossils such as sharks, bony fishes, turtles, crocodiles and dinosaurs. Teeth, femurs and dinosaur’s vertebrae are exhibited at the Museum of Earth Memory in Tataouine.
• Lunch in Tataouine.
• In the afternoon, visit Guermessa superb abandoned crest village, with its citadel and beautiful houses dug at the rocks, and so we could better understand the geological choice of Berbers to settle their villages.
• Return to Djerba via the salt lake "Sebkhet El Meleh" and the Roman road.
• End of our services.
THE PRICE INCLUDES:
• Transport in air-conditioned vehicle.
• The visits indicated in the program.
• Professional guide specialized in geology and paleontology
THE PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
• The drinks.
• Excursions or optional tours.
• The Tips
• The extras.
• Program dedicated to geology and paleontology in the Dhahar region
• Adaptable excursion for small groups and families with children.
• Combined itinerary between Berber villages and geological parks.
• Accompaniment by a specialized guide in paleontology and geology.