Méharée Grand Erg
It's a real adventured journey of camel ride in the heart of the desert to reveal the hidden secrets of the “Erg Oriental” between natural streams, oases and lakes crossing a lot of high dunes of golden sand. Away from modern civilization and usual comfort, this huge desert with its springs, lush oases and beautiful evenings around campfire makes you living an unforgettable experience. You seem to be in a huge ocean, where waves are dunes without any visible mark, where the nights count thousands of stars giving you the pleasure to appreciate silence and meditation. In this journey, each traveler has his camel on which he can ride to his convenience. You will be accompanied by a Sahara local guide, camel drivers and a cook. Other camels carry luggage (bags, tents, cooking equipment, food, mineral water, sheets, blankets ...)
Airport of departure: Djerba or Tozeur
Duration: 15 Days / 14 Nights
Period of the year: From November till April
Departure date: Every week
DAY 1: AIRPORT - HOTEL
• Arrival at the airport of the island Djerba, transfer to Hotel Welcome Meridiana 4* or similar.
• Dinner and overnight at the hotel (on Djerba or in Douz depending on the arrival time of the flight).
DAY 2: DJERBA - MATMATA - DOUZ - SAHARA
• After breakfast at the hotel, departure to Douz the gate of the Sahara, through the Berber village of Matmata.
• Visit of a Berber cave house in Matmata.
• Drive to Douz for lunch.
• After lunch Transfer in 4x4 to Bir Abdallah at the entrance of the Erg oriental.
• Dinner and overnight at the camp (Bivouac or nomad tents).
DAY 3 to DAY 12: CROSSING OF THE GRAND ERG ORIENTAL
• After breakfast, the caravan begins to ride to the Erg Oriental crossing superb high dunes of golden sands following the steps of camels. You will have the experience of a real camel ride through breathtaking places and wonderful landscapes such as Laghwista, Tinswan, Lahwadhat Erreched (hot spring that feeds a small lake lost in the desert), Dekanis el Sghir, Dekanis in Kebir, Tembaïne (mountains dominating the Erg), Gour Kleb, El Mida...
• Superb nights in bivouac or nomad tents and beautiful evenings around campfire animated by our camel drivers with their popular Sahara songs make your experience unforgettable in the Tunisian desert.
• The camel ride ends at the Saharan oasis of Ksar Ghilane where a swim in the natural hot pool will be appreciated.
• Last camp near the Saharan oasis of Ksar Ghilane.
DAY 13: KSAR GHILANE - CHENINI - DOUIRET- TATOUINE - DJERBA
• After breakfast, departure by 4x4 to the Berber village Chenini nestled between the mountains of Dhahar with its beautiful landscape and unpublished houses carved into the rocks.
• Visit of Chenini and begining of the hiking to Douiret, a beautiful village abandoned by its inhabitants, taking the mountainous trails of the Dhahar massif (Hiking time: 2h30).
• Arrival in Douiret and typical lunch in a troglodyte house by the inhabitant.
• In teh afternoon, return to the island of Djerba via Tataouine and the Roman road.
• Dinner and overnight at the hotel Welcome Meridiana 4 * or similar.
DAY 14: DJERBA
• Relax in half board at the hotel to enjoy the thalassotherapy facilities or participate in some excursions to discover the island.
DAY 15: DJERBA - AIRPORT
• Departure to the airport for the return flight
• End of our services.
• A real adventure in the heart of the Erg Oriental
• A complete Tour in the desert
• Visit of the natural water spring, Lake Houidhat and the famous mountain Tembaïne
• Professional camel drivers with long experience in the desert
• Healthy, tasty and abundant natural food
• Secure route
EQUIPMENT TO BE PROVIDED
• Sleeping bag
• Toilet bag
• Personal First Aid Kit
• The dinner on the arrival day and the breakfast on the day of the departure will depend on flight schedules.
• The program can be done in both directions.
• Depending on the weather and operational conditions, the guide can change the program for the safety of the group.
THE PRICE INCLUDES:
• Transfer in / out.
• 04 Nights stay on the island Djerba in half board in Hotel Meridiana 4*.
• 10 Nights in Bivaouc in the desert.
• Meals mentioned in the program.
• Saharan local guide during the tour.
• The full board accommodation during the camel ride.
• Bivouac in the heart of the dunes.
• Water during the whole camel ride
THE PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
• The airfare.
• Drinks (Except in the camel ride drinks are included)
• The optional excursions or visits.
• The extras.
Price per person: