A wonderful Trek in the heart of the Grand Erg. Here the Sahara is in its most pleasing aspect, between curves and dunes, for the pleasure of the eyes and the mind. In the northern part of the Grand Erg Oriental, days of walking at the slow pace of a caravan of camels, with sweet evenings around the campfire, nights in the dunes. It’s really a great experience to admire the immensity of the desert.
Definition: The Saharan Trek is a pedestrian trip to walk in the desert, accompanied by Saharan guides, camel drivers and camels for carrying luggage and equipment.
Airport of departure: Djerba
Period of the year: From October to April (Suspension of the tour during the warmer months)
Duration: 08 Days / 07 Nights (05 Nights Bivouac & 02 Nights at the hotel)
Kind: It’s a hard Trek in the heart of the Grand Erg oriental, reaching the famous Sahara mountain of Tembaïne
Difficulty: 5/6 hours of walking a day
DAY 1: AIRPORT-DJERBA
• Arrival at the airport, transfer to the hotel Arischa in Houmt Souk capital of the island of Djerba, it is a former Foundouk for the caravanners nowadays arranged as a charm hotel preserving the architectural style of the island.
• Diner and overnight at the hotel Arischa in Houmt Souk on the island Djerba.
DAY 2 : DJERBA-DOUZ - BIR ABDALLAH
• After breakfast, departure to Douz, the door of deserts through Matmata the Berber village.
• Stop at the famous berber cave dwelling village Matmata and visit of a cave house carved into the ground.
• Continue to Douz for lunch.
• Drive on 4X4 to the entrance of the Erg oriental at Bir Abdallah (well of water). After a first stage on camels, camp in the dunes, dinner and overnight in the desert.
DAY 3 TO DAY 6: CROSSING THE GRAND ERG ORIENTAL
• After breakfast, the caravan begins to move through the immense Erg oriental in the middle of the desert crossing imposing dune cords and admiring breathtaking desert landscapes.
• The caravan proceeds slowly through giant sand dunes till Tin Eswan and the Huidhat Errched hot spring, which feeds a small lake in the middle of the sand, which occasionally shelters many kinds of water birds.
• Continuous crossing of beautiful high dunes cords every day arriving till Tembaïne, a mountain of which seems to be an island in the middle of infinite fields of sand dunes all around.
• Very delicious breakfasts are served from the first hour of the day preparing the sand bread every morning.
• Breaks for lunch are provided with varied salad, sand bread, mint tea, dates and season fruits.
• You could have fun preparing dinner with the cooks who will serve us typical and tasty dishes of the nomadic gastronomy such as couscous, Berber soup...
• Stunning nights in the open air around campfire after dinner animated by camel drivers with their popular songs and music that emanate from a rich and varied nomadic heritage and which will remain engraved in your memory forever.
DAY 7: TEMBAÏNE – DOUZ- DJERBA
JOUR 8: DJERBA-AIRPORT
• Departure to the airport for the return flight.
• End of our services.
THE PRICE INCLUDES:
• Transfer in / out.
• Nights stay on the island Djerba in half board in Hotel Arischa
• 05 Nights in Bivaouc in the desert.
• Meals mentioned in the program.
• Visits mentioned in the program.
• Saharan local guide during the tour.
• The full board accommodation during the camel ride.
• Bivouac in the heart of the dunes.
• Water during the whole camel tour
• Tents and mattresses
• Kitchen equipment
• Drinks in the desert
• Transport by air-conditioned vehicle
• Camels for luggage
THE PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
• The airfare.
• Drinks (Except in the camel ride drinks are included)
• The optional excursions or visits.
• The extras.
• Single room supplement.
• New Year and Christmas dinner supplement
• The dinner on the arrival day and the breakfast on the day of the departure will depend on flight schedules.
• The program can be done in both directions.
• Depending on the weather and operational conditions, the guide can change the program for the safety of the group.
EQUIPMENT TO BE PROVIDED:
• Sleeping bag
• Toilet bag
• Personal First Aid Kit
• A real adventure and a complete Tour in the heart of the Erg Oriental
• Visit of the natural water spring, Lake Houidhat and the famous mountain Tembaïne
• Professional camel drivers with long experience in the desert
• Healthy, tasty and abundant natural food
• Clean sleeping equipment (Mattresses, blankets, sheets ...)
• Secure route
PRICES per perspon: