Real discovery of dwell cave architecture and Berber culture in the mountains of Matmata and its surroundings, your will appreciate a typical home-made meal and live a real experience that will be etched in your memory forever.
Departure city: Djerba
Duration: 01 Day
Genre: culture and discovery
Period of the year: All year
Departure: Every day
• Early departure from Djerba to the dwell cave villages through the Ferry.
• After crossing the Jorf Strait, departure to the Dhahar Massif by crossing the rocky tracks Zrewa to the ancient Zrewa , a small villageof Berber origin abandoned in a beautiful landscape of mountains.
• Drive to Tamezret, Berber village located on the peak of a mountain that overlooks a vast landscape on the rocky desert to the borders of the Sahara.
• Walking tour of Tamezret to discover the typical architecture of semi-troglodyte houses to the small white mosque overlooking the village and offering impressive views.
• Visit of the Berber Museum of Arts and Popular Traditions of Tamezret where you can admire a beautiful collection of typical clothes and Mergoums, typical carpet woven by women with an explanation of symbols and decorative motifs.
• Drive to Taoujout, another small typical village implanted in a mountainous landscape but of an admirable beauty.
• Then, on the road to Matmata, we visit the troglodyte complex "Diar Amor" which represents a troglodyte museum and dwell cave guest house.
• Arrival to Matmata, the famous Berber village known for its still inhabited dewell cave houses forming an impressive lunar landscape.
• We enjoy Lunch at a Berber family in an authentic troglodyte house and discover the daily life among Berber women.
• After lunch, visit of the Sidi Driss hotel in Matmata, shooting location of the saga "Star Wars".
• Continuation of the journey through beautiful breathtaking scenery on the heights of Dhahar to Toujane via the Zriba trail, a picturesque village nestled in the mountains of Dhahar and overlooked by an ancient citadel from which you can admire a superb panorama of the whole village, you enjoy the landscape taking pictures and tasting of a delicious tea with mint and rosemary.
• Visit of a traditional underground oil mill to discover the ancient traditions of olive oil production in the region.
• Return to Djerba via the Roman road with a possible stopover at Metameur, an ancient granary built by nomadic tribes.
• Arrival to Djerba, end of our services.
THE PRICE INCLUDES:
• Transport in air-conditioned vehicle.
• Lunch meal
• Excursions and visits indicated in the program.
• Professional guide specialized in Berber culture during all visits
THE PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
• The drinks.
• The extras.
• Complete journey among troglodyte and Berber villages in the north-east side of the Dhahar Massif.
• Adaptable excursion for small groups and families with children
• Typical home-made lunch in a real troglodyte house
• Discovery of Berber arts and popular traditions.