This wonderful tour in the heart of southern Tunisia allows you to dive into authentic Tunisia between the Dhahar Massif and the desert with its exuberant oases. A true journey to penetrate into the far south with its ancestral customs and reveal the secrets of the Berber culture with stunning cave dwelling villages, , the originality of the Ksars and Ghorfas, the vastness of the desert and the charm of the exuberant oases with two nights in a cave dwell house and a Saharan camp. it's a whole culture to discover!
Airport of departure: Djerba or Tozeur
Period of the year: All the year
Date: All days
Duration: 08 Days / 07 Nights (including 01 night in a cave dwell house and 01 night in a Saharan Camp)
DAY 1: AIRPORT – DJERBA
• Arrival to the airport of Djerba, assistance by the tour guide and transfer to the hotel.
• Dinner and overnight at the hotel Welcome Meridiana 4* or similar.
DAY 2: DJERBA-TATOUINE-KSAR EZZAHRA-KSAR OULED SOLTANE-CHENINI-DOUIRET
• After breakfast at the hotel, departure to the region of Tataouine and the Dhahar massif the country of Berbers via the roman causeway.
• It’s a stunning day dedicated to Berber crest villages and the world of Ksars former collective granaries.
• Arrival to Tataouine ancient city which housed the foreign legion during the french colonization and the city of the Foreign Legion and the famous BAT D'AF (African battalion). Visit of the traditional market as first direct contact with the local population.
• Departure to the visit of Ksar Ezzahra one of the most beautiful collective granaries of the region.
• Visit of Ksar Ouled Soltane an old majestic granary very well preserved with Ghorfas beautifully superimposed.
• Lunch in an original restaurant.
• After launch, departure to Chenini the crest village of sublime beauty with its beautiful houses dug in the rocks. Visit of the village and the famous mosque of the seven sleepers with their giant tombs.
• Departure to Douiret, the second crest village in the heart of Dhahar massif, arrival and walking tour of the village to admire the ancient architecture of the Berbers, dwell cave houses, underground oil mills, underground mosque ...
• Dinner and lodging at the troglodyte lodging “ Gite de Douiret”.
DAY 3: TATAOUINEKSAR EL FARCH-KSAR HADADA-KSAR HALLOUF-KSAR GHILANE-ZMELA
• After breakfast, we cross the Dahahar Massif, a day dedicated to stunning landscapes of mountains going to the desert of Ksar Ghilane.
• Visit of Ksar El Farch, the abandoned granary for nomadic tribes.
• Departure to the visit of Ksar Hadada a former granary and filming location of the famous movie «Star Wars» (The Threat of the Ghost).
• Visit of ksar Ejjouamaa, former granary situated on the top of a mountain.
• Departure to Ksar El Hallouf, mountain Ksar, visit and lunch
• After lunch, departure to Ksar Ghilane, a superb Saharan oasis at the entrance of the Eastern Erg.
• Free time to visit the oasis and enjoy a swim in the natural pool of Ksar Ghilane.
• Continue to Zmlea desert crossing beautiful sand dunes.
• Arrival to Zmela Saharan camp, dinner and overnight.
DAY 4: ZMELA–DOUZ-SALT LAKE-TOZEUR
• After breakfast, departure to Douz the “Sahara gate”, visit of Douz market known with cottage industries such as Babouches (Shoes made of camel leather) and Saharan pants.
• Possibility to make a camel ride crossing de dunes of the silted village Zaafrane. (Optional). Lunch in Douz
• Departure to Chott El Jerid, the largest salt lake in Tunisia, stop for photos and to admire the beautiful landscape of the lake.
• Drive to Tozeur the capital of Bled El Jerid « The land of palms ».
• Visit of the old city of Tozeur with its house decorated with traditional bricks made of clay and narrow streets covered by palm trunks.
• Dinner and overnight at the hotel Golden Yasmine Ras El Ain 4* or similar.
DAY 5: TOZEUR-CHEBIKA-TAMAGHZA-MIDES-NAFTA-TOZEUR
• After breakfast, departure to discover the mountain oases.
• Arrival to Chebika and visit of the oasis with its stunning mountain landscape in the heart of the Atlas natural water springs.
• Drive to Tamerza and visit of the waterfalls and the old village.
• Departure to Mides oasis located right on the Tunisian-Algerian border, visit of the famous Canyon shooting location of the famous film « The English Patient ».
• Return to Tozeur for lunch.
• After lunch, departure to Nafta, the second town in « The land of palms ».
• Panoramic visits of the famous oasis La Corbeille « the basket ».
• Horse carriage trip to visit the oasis of thousands of date palm trees, crossing the old city to admire the typical architecture of the houses with their coated-clay-brick facades.
• Free time in the Sand Roses square.
• Return to Tozeur, dinner and overnight at the hotel.
DAY 6 : TOZEUR-GABES-MATMATA-TOUJENE-DJERBA
• After lunch, departure to Gabes, coastal oasis city, sightseeing tour of the maritime oasis.
• Visit of the Spice and Henna market called «Jara».
• In the afternoon, drive to Matmata, famous Berber village of unique beauty known for its cave dwelling houses, visit of an inhabited berber cave house.
• Continue to Toujene, Berber village hidden among the mountains, panoramic visit.
• Return to the island of Djerba via the Ferry
• Dinner and overnight at Welcome Meridiana 4 * hotel or similar.
DAY 7: DJERBA (FREE STAY)
• Free stay at the Welcome Meridiana 4* hotel on half-board
• Possibility to make some excursions to discover the beauty of the island
DAY 8: DJERBA-AIRPORT
• Transfer to Tunis airport for the return flight.
• End of our services
THE PRICE INCLUDES:
• Transfer in / out.
• 05 Nights at the mentioned hotels
• 01 Night in cave dwelling hotel
• 01 Night in Saharan camp
• Meals mentioned in the program.
• Visits mentioned in the program
• Professional local guide during the tour.
• Transport in air-conditioned vehicle.
THE PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
• The airfare.
• The optional excursions or visits.
• The extras.
• The dinner on the arrival day and the breakfast on the day of the departure will depend on flight schedules.
• The itinerary could be made in two directions
• Complete tour to discover the entire Tunisian south in a few days.
• Accommodation in an authentic cave dwelling house and in a Saharan camp
• Adapted tour for small groups and families with children
• Rich and varied program
• Professional guide specializing in Berber and Nomads culture
Price per person: