Ksar Ghilane & Erg
A superb two-day journey that harmoniously links the famous desert of the Erg oriental, the Berber villages, the Ksours and the Saharan oasis with a superb night in a Saharan camp.
Departure city: Djerba
Duration: 02 Days / 01 Nights (in Saharan camp)
Genre: Saharan adventure
Period of year: All year
Departure: Every day
DAY 1: DJERBA-TATOUINE-KSAR OULED SOLATNE-CHENINI-KSAR GHILANE -ZMELA
• Early departure in 4X4 from your hotel towards the city of Tataouine via the Roman causeway.
• Panoramic break at the small salt lake” Sobkhet El Melah” which offers a beautiful whitish landscape.
• Continuation towards Tataouine, the famous city which sheltered the battalion of the foreign legion and the famous "Bat of AF".
• Visit of the Science Village which houses a Jurassic Park and testifies the prehistoric wealth of the Tataouine since the Tertiary era with the exhibition of several fossils and dinosaur bones.
• Visit of the city center and the traditional market place with typical products such as Babouches (Shoes made from camel leather) and Burnous (traditional coat of lamb’s wool or camel hair with cap).
• Drive to the world of Ksours (plural of Ksar), former collective granaries built by the Berber tribes for the storage of wheat and food of all kinds, with their beautiful Ghorfas vaulted and beautifully superimposed.
• Visit of Ksar Ouled Soltane, the most prestigious of all the granaries of the region and very well preserved with its Ghorfas which form up till five floors.
• Drive through the Dhahar Mountains that offer beautiful landscapes reminiscent of the Wild West.
• Departure to Chenini, the village of crest with its superb houses dug in the rocks and its Citadel-Ksar which overhangs the whole village. After the guided visit to the village, typical lunch to savor the delights of the Berber culinary art.
• After lunch, panoramic stop at Guermessa, a wonderful berber crest village with its stunny landscapes.
• Departure to the Saharian Zmela camp, crossing caravan trails.
• Arrival to Zmela desert, dinner and overnight in well equipped Saharan camp.
• Beautiful evening between the dunes under a wonderfully starry sky.
DAY 2: ZMELA-TAMEZRET-MATMATA-TOUJENE-METAMEUR-DJERBA
• After breakfast, drive towards Ksar Ghilane, superb Saharan oasis at the beginning of the edge of the Erg oriental desert. Arrival and free time to enjoy a beautiful swim in its natural spring and admire the sunset over the ocher sand dunes. Possibility to participate in a camel ride or Quad drive (optional) on the sand dunes till the ancient Roman fort of Tisavar located a few kilometers from the oasis.
• Departure again to the Dhahar Massif
• Guided visit of Tamezret, Berber village at the top of the mountains that dominates a stunning landscape of the rocky desert.
• Drive to Matmata famous Berber village of unique beauty known for its dwell cave houses and lunar landscape.
• Visit a troglodyte house to discover the way of life among the Berbers. Visit of the troglodyte berber museum Diar Amor.
• Typical lunch in Matmata to savor the delights of the Berber culinary art.
• After lunch, crossing of the Dhahar massif with a panoramic stop in Toujane, superb Berber village hidden between the mountains, with possibility to visit an underground oil mill (open only during the days of picking olives).
• Drive to the village of Metameur with a panoramic stop at the former granary.
• Return to Djerba via the roman road.
• End of our services.
THE PRICE INCLUDES:
• 01 Night in Saharan camp very well equipped.
• Transport in air-conditioned vehicle.
• Meals indicated in the program.
• Excursions and visits indicated in the program.
• Professional guide during the tour.
THE PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
• The drinks.
• Optional activities
• The gratuities.
• The extras.
• Mini Safari to the Erg orienta
• Adaptable excursion for small groups and families with children
• Combined itinerary between Sahara, Berber villagesa and oases.
• Typical meals to discover the local gastronomy
• Drivers from the region with long experience in Saharan tourism and who master the route well.